Start/Select or Options/Share?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,609
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Saw this Tweet and  and had the question come to mind of whether or not you still call the Start/Select buttons on newer controllers by those names or if you moved to calling them Options/Share?

I haven't really thought of the buttons by any sort of name for a while now I think, or at least not consciously. I think when Options/Share first became a thing I still called them Start/Select but nowadays I'll usually think of them by their proper names. Options can at least be viewed as a Start button still given it didn't really change function when the name changed, but Share has no similarity to Select anymore except for being in the place that button used to be.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,609 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Saw this Tweet and  and had the question come to mind of whether or not you still call the Start/Select buttons on newer controllers by those names or if you moved to calling them Options/Share?

I haven't really thought of the buttons by any sort of name for a while now I think, or at least not consciously. I think when Options/Share first became a thing I still called them Start/Select but nowadays I'll usually think of them by their proper names. Options can at least be viewed as a Start button still given it didn't really change function when the name changed, but Share has no similarity to Select anymore except for being in the place that button used to be.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It'll always be Start/Select, sorry young-ins. Shrug
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
It'll always be Start/Select, sorry young-ins. Shrug
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah at first I thought of Options/Share as Start/Select until I started actually using the Share button did it revert to "Share" in my mind. XD Or rather "Screenshot/Save video" as I don't properly "Share" anything. Also because those buttons aren't where the Select/Start were anymore made me think differently later. Options however is now half "Options" and "Start" because of having a similar functions of pausing a game. Home is now also half a "Start" button too because it in a way halts a game or stops you from continuous play even if some games do not pause if you press it, plus it's more closer to where "Start" was.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah at first I thought of Options/Share as Start/Select until I started actually using the Share button did it revert to "Share" in my mind. XD Or rather "Screenshot/Save video" as I don't properly "Share" anything. Also because those buttons aren't where the Select/Start were anymore made me think differently later. Options however is now half "Options" and "Start" because of having a similar functions of pausing a game. Home is now also half a "Start" button too because it in a way halts a game or stops you from continuous play even if some games do not pause if you press it, plus it's more closer to where "Start" was.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,609
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 12th, 2023, 12:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah at first I thought of Options/Share as Start/Select until I started actually using the Share button did it revert to "Share" in my mind. XD Or rather "Screenshot/Save video" as I don't properly "Share" anything.
Yeah I'd rather that button be renamed to something like "Capture" instead of "Share" since it's used solely for capturing screenshots and videos. I just used it and yet already forgot how it looks but I'm sure even just pushing the button on the PS5 doesn't bring up anything about sharing any of your content as a primary option.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,609 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 12th, 2023, 12:04 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah at first I thought of Options/Share as Start/Select until I started actually using the Share button did it revert to "Share" in my mind. XD Or rather "Screenshot/Save video" as I don't properly "Share" anything.
Yeah I'd rather that button be renamed to something like "Capture" instead of "Share" since it's used solely for capturing screenshots and videos. I just used it and yet already forgot how it looks but I'm sure even just pushing the button on the PS5 doesn't bring up anything about sharing any of your content as a primary option.